If you are viewing this on your phone and do not see 3 columns then scroll left/right or switch to webpage or computer view.

Monday, January 12, 2015

The Smith Families of Fairview Community.

NOTE: Three of Timmons and Mary Catherine (Urban) Literal's children would marry grandchildren of Thomas Marion Smith. These and other grandchildren of Thomas and the children of Timmons and Mary would constitute much of the activities in and around the community.

Matthew Love

A mixture of Family Oral History and some sparse, but informative documentation helps us to identify an ancestral line for the Smith family through Eliza Love, back to their Irish roots. The primary document that links several generations together for us is the Will of Mathew Love, immigrant. Mathew was born 1779 in Tyrone Co., Ireland; died October 16, 1849 in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. He and his brother George migrated from Ireland in the early to mid-1800s. Family history says that the granddaughter of George (Eliza) was born in Ireland and arrived in America when she was about 11 years old, circa 1844.

In 1844 Mathew would have been 65, a rather advanced age to be migrating from across an ocean to a frontier land.

WILL OF MATTHEW LOVE

I Matthew Love, a native of Ireland but now a citizen of the county of Lawrence and state of Tennessee and a naturalized citizen of the United States of America, do make and publish my last will and testament in manner and form as follows to wit:

Item 1: It is my will and desire that all my just debts and my funeral expenses be first paid out of my estate and that all the debts and claims due me at the time of my death be collected as far practicable be collected by my Executors herein after mentioned and that all other matters necessary to be done to settle up my estate be closed by my said Executor as soon as practicable after my death.

Item 2: It is my will and desire that my said Executor after paying all my just debts and funeral expenses appropriate a sum sufficient to purchase a tombstone and have the same placed over my grave.

Item 3: It is my will and desire and I hereby give unto my sister Elizabeth Love, a native and resident of Ireland, my four acre lots situated and being in the town of Lawrenceburg and state of Tennessee and known and designated on the plan of said town as Lots #58 & 59.

Item 4: It is my will and desire and I hereby give unto my brother Maxwell Love, also of Ireland, my lot in said town of Lawrenceburg and known in the plan of said town as Lot #46 and I also give unto my said brother Maxwell Love two hundred and four acres of land lying and being in the said county of Lawrence on the waters of Sugar Creek in Range 4 and section 3 the same being an original occupant but now granted to me by grant #28140 by the state of Tennessee.

Item #5: It is my will and desire and I hereby give unto Elizabeth Love, the grand-daughter of my deceased brother George Love and at this time a resident of the county of Lawrence, the part of lot #42 now owned by me and situated in the said town of Lawrenceburg and fronting thirty-three feet on the Military Road and running back ten poles.

Item #6: It is my will and desire and I hereby give and bequeath unto my said brother, Maxwell and my said sister Elizabeth Love, after the payment of debts, funeral expenses and the purchase of a tomb-stone as before directed, all the balance of money belonging to my estate to be equally divided between them.

Item #7: It is my will and desire that after my Executor herein after mentioned shall have paid all my just debt and funeral expenses, and have purchased a tomb-stone as heretofore directed, they will then let out at legal interest all the money belonging to my estate from year to year for five years after my death, but no to loan any part thereof for a longer period than one year, so as to have the same and the accruing interest collected at the end of each year. That they rent from year to year said lot #46 and said four acre lots #58 and 59 and loan out the accruing rents of said lots from year to year as other money belonging to my estate for a like period of five years.

Item #8: It is my will and desire and I hereby direct my said executor, that if at the end of five years from the time of my death my said brother Maxwell nor my sister Elizabeth should not move to the United States and claim said lots and land under this my last will. Then at the end of said five years I desire said four acre lot, said lot #46 and said two hundred and four acres of land to be sold on such terms as may most advantageous to my estate.

Item #9: It is my will and desire that after the sale Of said lot and land that my executor forward to my said brother Maxwell Love one half of the money on hand at the time of my death and all accruing interest, all of the rent of lot #46 and said trade of land and all accruing interest, and the proceeds of the sale of lot #46 and of said two hundred and four acres of land--that they in like manner forward to my sister Elizabeth the other half of the money and all accruing interest--the rents of said four acre lot and all accruing interest on said rents and the proceeds of sale of said four acre lot, known as lots #58 and 59.

Item 10: It is will and desire that if my said brother Maxwell should move to the United States at any time before the end of said five years that my said Executor surrender up to him said lot #46 and said two hundred and four acres of land and pay over to him one half of the money on hand at my death and all accruing interest, and also the rents of said lot #46 and said trade of land and all accruing interest thereon -- and should my sister Elizabeth move to the United States before the end of said five years that my executor give up to her said four acre lot and pay over to her one half of the money on hand with all accruing interest and the rents of said four acre lot and all accruing interest on the same.

Item #11: It is my will and desire that if the rents of said part of lot #42 should not be needed to pay the debts of my estate, nor to raise funds to purchase said tomb­stone, that the same be given up to her at my death.

Item #12: It is my will and desire that all the house furniture, and other personal property that I may leave at the time of my death, I bequeath to my said brother, Maxwell, but if he should not move to the United States then in that event it is my will that the same be sold, and be divided as other money belonging to my estate.

I hereby appoint Joseph Staynes and Stephanny Busby
Executors of this my last will and testament revoking all others.

In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this April 21, 1849.

Signed, sealed and Acknowledged before us June 12, 1849. 1

Mathew and George left two living siblings, Maxwell and Eliza, in Ireland. In his will Mathew left property in Lawrenceburg to Maxwell and property on Sugar Creek to Eliza, with the condition that if they didn’t migrate and claim there lands in five years then the land should be sold and the money sent to them.2 He also left land in Lawrenceburg to Eliza,the granddaughter of his deceased brother George. Unfortunately, he does not identify the father of Eliza3 and family history leaves us to believe that his name might be George or Mathew.

Eliza (Margaret Eliza)4 5 would marry Thomas Marion Smith.

1(From Will Book 1847-1852 pages 83-86): Courtesy of Demborah Humphres & Wynell Smith-Estes

2 Identified by brothers will, no evidence as yet that either migrated to America within the five years imposed by the will.~gdl~2002

3 Suzie Louise Littrell-Smith Family Correspondence File, (Letters, Family Group Sheets, and charts sent by family members to the compiler Glenn D. Littrell.), Nettie L. Smith-Berryhill believes that Eliza Loves father was Matthew Love.). He married [???]. She was born Abt. 1812 in Ireland, Tyrone.

4 N. Suzie Louise Littrell-Smith Family Correspondence File, (Letters, Family Group Sheets, and charts sent by family members to the compiler Glenn D. Littrell.), Identified by his will as the grand uncle of Eliza Love Smith (see end of this Chapter).~gdl~2002

5 Some believe that Eliza had brothers Mathew (b.1847) and William (b.1843), both born in Ireland, apparently the cause of this believe is that on the 1860 Census, in District 8, there is a family headed by an Eliza Love with three children, Mathew, Eliza, and William. All four are listed as being born in Ireland. But this can’t be the granddaughter of George mentioned in the will because in District 1 of the same census we find Eliza living with her husband, Thomas Marion Smith, and three children. Who is this Eliza Love? Could she be the sister mentioned in Mathews will? If so then either she was a sister in law or she’s raising someone else children. It couldn’t be the widow of the deceased George unless again, she was raising someone else’s children.~gdl~2002

volume II

No comments:

Post a Comment

END OF PAGE

Remember, each page has a limit on how many articles can appear on that page. When you reach the bottom of a page use the “Older Post” link under the last article(ABOVE) to view/see if there are more articles.

You can use the “Newer Post” and “Older Post” links to navigate back and forth between pages.